"Two-Dos" For Financial Health
Published on 9/23/2020
#1 CHECK UP ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT
It's a great idea to check your credit report regularly. "The important thing is to make sure your information is correct, and that you are paying on time and reducing credit balances," says Lauren Simon, financial wellness expert for GreenPath Financial Wellness. You can pull a free credit report once a year from AnnualCreditReport.com.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR
• Check your name, social security number and contact information
• Make sure all the accounts and credit inquiries on your report are truly yours
• Look to see if the payment histories, balances and account status are all correct
If you find mistakes, file a correction with the credit reporting agency on their website.
#2 MAKE A PLAN!
• Add up all your income sources to find out how much money you have each month
• Write down all your bills and expenses
• Prioritize to decide what is non-negotiable
• Plan for how much money you will devote to your bills, living expenses and savings
By setting your budget in advance, it's easier to manage your money to meet your goals.